mb-marketing-thumbnail.png

mindbody online nav refresh

The MINDBODY marketing site was experiencing a high bounce rate. Our hypothesis was that due to the increased awareness of MINDBODY as a B2C brand, consumers were looking to book services through the site.

Instead, these users were presented with business-related content that causes confusion. For businesses looking to buy software, the navigation lacked consistency and direct paths to lead generation pages. As MINDBODY continues to grow and expand their product offerings, the site needs to reflect that.

 

Users & Audience

Our target users were business prospects, current customers, and consumers. Also, both prospective and current customers fit into business groups with unique needs such as fitness, salon, spa, etc.

To convert a prospective customer, the website needed to communicate a complex ecosystem of products at a high level. Businesses needed to understand why MINDBODY is the best solution for their specific business needs.

For consumers who use MINDBODY to book their fitness classes, we wanted to identify them fast and segment them to the pages that targeted to their needs.

 
 

Team & Role

I worked in a paired-design model in which I was in a supporting role. I was responsible for delivering detailed UX deliverables—competitive analysis, wireframes for navigation and new L1 pages, and prototypes for testing. I collaborated with the director or the website, front-end engineers, visual designers, and copywriters. When research resources were tight, I took the initiative of synthesizing the results of the usability tests so our team could move forward with iterations.

 

Process

During discovery, we ran a survey on the website to understand user intent. The team conducted a card-sorting activity with our users to understand how they categorize MINDBODY products and services. I sought out to discover how other companies cater to both B2B & B2C within their navigation and homepage. I created a Competitive Audit and gathered themes that informed the homepage and navigation redesign.

During the design process, I was responsible for creating wireframes and prototypes for testing. We used results from the card sort to inform our first iteration of designs. We followed this with three rounds of usability tests to gauge how users were able to find information in the updated designs. In parallel, we ran A/B tests to see what copy resonated most with users. Throughout the process, we consulted with subject matter experts on SEO and Product Marketing to ensure we had alignment across departments.

 

Outcome

13%

decrease in bounce rate of organic search

5.5 %

decrease in bounce rate overall

12%

decrease in mobile bounce rate

 

17%

increase in online sales

10%

increase in sales from the homepage

112%

increase in downloads and webinars

 

The results for conversion rate measured by demo requests were inconclusive. Our hypothesis was that we may be deterring less qualified visitors by giving them better access to information to pre-qualify themselves before requesting a demo. Views of our features pages and industry-specific pages increased across the board. Also, there was a significant increase in prospects’ ability to find what they were looking for based on a benchmark True Intent survey that ran before and after release.

 

This project marked the first involvement of UX on the marketing team. Historically, UX was dedicated fully to the product. It has served as a great case study demonstrating the value of UX throughout the organization.